The purpose of this blog is purely educational. It does not advise any reader to forgo medical treatment for any condition. It describes methods that have not yet been proven effective through widespread scientific testing. Readers who are concerned about their health are advised to contact their physician.

Friday, April 13, 2012

What cats teach us about energy healing

It has now happened twice. The first time I just thought it was strange. The second time I began to ponder what it meant.

Some years ago I was visiting my hairdresser and she asked me to treat her cat. The poor cat was suffering from kidney failure. It was all skin and bones, its fur dull, scraggly and matted. It looked like one very sick pussycat.

I treated the cat on the couch, with my hairdresser sitting on the other side. Both of us watched, dumbfounded, as during the treatment the cat's fur began to change, to puff out, to grow smooth and shiny, and gradually return to "normal".

When the cat had enough, it jumped off the couch (something it hadn't been able to do) and walked away.

The story didn't have a happy ending, because the very next day the cat was euthanized. The appointment had already been made, the owners didn't want the cat to suffer, they didn't really believe in "energy healing", and they didn't want to wait.

I filed the experience away for further reference, and the reference came last week, when I was asked to treat another cat in kidney failure.

I told the owners about the my experience with the previous cat and said that one of the effects might be that the fur would puff out and look normal again. It began to happen during the treatment, but not as dramatically as before. The cat slept for the rest of the day and then the day following was unable to walk. The owners had the vet on emergency standby but were willing to wait 48 hours.

At last report the cat seemed to be better and was lying in the sun, her fur sleek and soft and shiny, with a cowlick that had not been there before. (Postscript April 21: also, ever since the treatment, she has not been peeing blood, which I would consider to be a good sign.)

Some conclusions

Cats don't do "placebo effect". And fur puffing out is a clear sign of something physical going on.

Everyone assumes that a sick animal's fur is matted because it has stopped grooming itself. But neither one of these cats did a single lick of grooming during its treatment. The difference between healthy sleek fur and sickly matted fur seems to be, at least to some extent, energetic. To me this would seem to constitute some kind of proof that energy healing definitely does something.

2 comments:

Susan said...

The fur reaction sounds amazing. I think animals are inherently sensitive to energy healing.

When I first learned Reiki I tried it out on my cat who had recently returned from a month's hospitalisation. She had received an injury in a fight and had haemorrhaged badly. It was thought that she must have eaten a rodent that had ingested rat poison. She was treated with coagulants and survived the experience but came home in pretty bad shape - completely listless and showing no interest in food. The vet was not sure whether her condition would improve.

I thought it was worth having a try with Reiki and within minutes of beginning the procedure she shot off the sofa, went to her food dish and started eating. She went from strength to strength and I did not need to treat her again. The vet was so impressed that he said he ought to look into Reiki himself.

That was twelve years ago and the cat is still going strong for her age (and still fighting, unfortunately).

Judith said...

That's a great story, Susan. I love treating animals! I hope your vet took up reiki, too :)